The Day Lee Kuan Yew Died

Saturday, March 28, 2015

The pain didn't go away. It got worse. After 3 doses of the gastric medicine on Sat and Sun, the conclusion was this was no gastric pain. I could still eat. But nausea had started to settle in at the same time.

Peeing and pooing were painful, but I went regularly.


23 March 2015 (Mon)

I woke up with the sharp pain in my torso that I'll never get used to. The cat stepped on my tummy while taking her morning stroll on the bed and almost murdered me. (She jumped off me immediately and stared with concern as I spasmed and writhed in pain)

Dr Chan had told us to go back to look for him if the pain persists so we got ready to leave. 

A quick peek on my phone suggested the night had been unusually abuzz with activity on my Whatsapp. I hazarded a guess on what could it be and switched on the TV. Sure enough, the news of Lee Kuan Yew's passing flashed across the TV. 

He's been in a bad condition for the past month now, and although we all knew this was inevitable, some part of me had hoped, believed irrationally, that he'd pull through. Because he's THE LKY. OUR LKY. He was someone I believed my whole life would be a centenarian for sure.

Alas, he didn't make it. His hourglass stopped at age 91. His health had taken a beating from grief after the death of his wife.

I felt sad. But I was in so much pain and no condition to mourn there and then.

At the hospital, Dr Chan was still unconvinced it was OHSS after a quick transvaginal scan, and sent me for a detailed ultrasound scan to find out once and for all what was going on in my torso.

The verdict? Liquid all around my organs. Conclusion was Ovarian Hyper Stimulation Syndrome, OHSS after all...

The doctor looked really perplexed and insisted my symptoms were not typical. I was prescribed with a strong dose of Cabergoline and we all hope I'd be ok to do the Transfer tomorrow afterall.

The entire fiasco took the whole day, and I am now faced with the possibility that I can't have a fresh transfer. But the pain was more than I can bear to care too much about that for now.

Back home, I had a bit more time to ponder on what exactly it meant to no longer have Lee Kuan Yew around anymore.

The nation at large had started to mourn, and tributes and condolences from big name politicians around the world such as Obama had started to stream in. This week was declared National Mourning week.

A titan had fallen. I believe he meant something to every Singaporean, but the amount of tributes that we would receive globally over the week was overwhelming. I have to admit I had no idea his influence was so strong globally.

As our National flag gets lowered to a half mast, I struggled on with the pain...



You Might Also Like

0 comments

You are reader number:

All Rights Reserved by Taru

All Rights Reserved by Taru