Please Implement Maternity Badges in Singapore!

Friday, January 15, 2016

Tokyo's Pregnancy Badge hanging on a bag. I like how it's so unassuming.

As I mentioned in my Week 18 Update post, I have a little baby bump now! Though vaguely visible under selected clothing, it makes me look more fat than pregnant. And no, no one is giving up any seats on the MRT to this preggie yet.

Speaking of public transport seats, any woman who have ever been pregnant will find it ironic. The period of time when a pregnant woman needs the MRT or bus seat the most is during her 1st trimester. We have all these nice human beings who are willing to give up their seats to those who need it (my faith in humanity is high); they just don't know you're dying from the 1st trimester symptoms. And by the time you have a nice rounded baby bump in your 2nd trimester and the nice human beings are giving up their seats to you, you no longer need it as much as a few weeks ago; although it's still nice to be able to rest on the train.

But nice human beings aside, we also have the judgemental nutcases who periodically upload videos of people they judge as being physically fit and thus undeserving of public transport seats onto youtube and Stomp. (How dare the NSman sit on the MRT?! How dare that rotund man not give up his seat to a pregnant woman! Obese men should be exercising not sitting down!) 

And the reasons why these videos go viral almost instantly is because there is a whole demographic of judgemental crazies on the internet whose sole reason for their existence is to engage in cyber witch hunt and to name and shame perceived baddies.

So thanks to these militant nutcases, I didn't even dare to sit on the empty priority seats because I didn't think the best way to announce my pregnancy was by public explanation on social media on why I am starring in a viral youtube video. And this was when I desperately needed to rest from the 1st trimester cramps; dizziness; nausea, breathlessness, acid reflux; gastritis; and all that jazz.

It is times like these that I wished Singapore would adopt the maternity badges or 'Baby on board' badge like in Japan and UK.

In said countries, after you get pregnant, you can apply for a maternity badge to wear in public. This badge is not to pressurize other commuters to give up their seats to you but if nice human beings see it, they will know you're in need of a seat. Most importantly, you can sit in the priority seat without getting all paranoid on "voyeurs" filming you.

So come on Singapore! You called on us to breed! Make us some maternity badges!

And if MCYS decides to implement the maternity badges, please take a page from Japan's design. The maternity badges in Japan are so cute that I wanted to do our babymoon in Japan just to collect the badge! Unfortunately, I couldn't decipher if they give it to pregnant tourists too, and what exactly is the procedure to procure one. There was a period of awareness campaign when they were giving it out at their metro stations in Tokyo, but I believe it's over.

If anyone knows how to get these Japanese maternity badges, please please share with me!

I love this design!! THIS is the one I wanna fly to Japan to collect!!

London's Baby On Board badge. The design is so typically English; Boring.

Maternity badges from other Japanese cities

*Images source: Google

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Hi, Nice blog :) I myself went through some of your experiences (I have blogged about it in www.tripletshouse.blogspot.com) and by chance saw your blog while searching something for a friend who is currently suffering from OHSS. Wish you all the best in your pregnancy and parenting journey. God bless.

    ReplyDelete

You are reader number:

All Rights Reserved by Taru

All Rights Reserved by Taru