This Thing Called 'Womb Scratch Test'

Thursday, July 23, 2015

So on July 8, Dr Chan called me. Actually he called hubby's phone looking for me. We were both stunned. Doctors here do not call patients personally. So when they call, they get our full attention.

Upon reviewing my case, he decided that they'd be scratching the lining of my womb to 'inflame' it twice before my next IVF cycle.

Woah, inflame the womb? That sounds scary. Anyway, I asked a buncha questions and here's the long and short of it:

1. The procedure is a scratch test that is common for other cervical tests so nothing to worry about

2. Immediate side effects may include "tolerable cramps". Not convincing when the doctor who says this is a guy.

3. In an internal study in KKIVF, out of 20 women who repeatedly failed the IVF cycles, 7 managed to get pregnant after they had their lining scratched. (Only 7 out of 20!! My heart sank at this one)

4. KKIVF is doing one of the first research studies in the world on why having the lining scratched improves the chances of pregnancy (You mean they don't know why OMG science is so young!)

5. So if I agree to donate the scratched piece of my lining for their study, they'd cover the costs of the scratch test for me. (Can you cover my parking fees too please, no I didn't ask that)


So point 5 is probably the main reason why the Associate Professor called me personally; to convince me to donate my lining. Of cause I agreed. Unless if they're planning on some shady cloning in the lab with my DNA or something to that effect, I didn't see any harm.

My first scratch test will be on August 3. I hope it doesn't hurt too much...

You Might Also Like

0 comments

You are reader number:

All Rights Reserved by Taru

All Rights Reserved by Taru