The Return Of OHSS

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

I never thought I'd add another post under 'The OHSS Ordeal' label ever again. How life mocks me.

The Cabergoline prescribed to prevent this dumb OHSS thing is useless, I tell you. Useless.

Just like in March, a mere 6 months ago, I was hit with severe pain in my abdomen on Sat 26 Sep, the day after the ovum pick up. It just gets worse and worse as I rolled uncontrollably down the hill of agony.

I pee-ed from the burning fire in my lower abdomen, while my bowels gave up defecating those few days. Too damned painful to even try. I knew the pain. I knew the gastric pain that is not actually gastric pain at all.

OH NO I DO NOT WANT TO BE HOSPITALISED AGAIN IN THAT AWFUL WARD!!

On Sunday, it got worse. I could barely walk. I felt faint after standing for just a while. I got breathless after a few steps. And the nausea! God help me. Why have you forsaken me again! My tummy was totally distended by now, with large loud belches coming out regularly from the bloat. I couldn't sit, I couldn't stand. There was relief only in certain half lying-half sitting positions that I had to painfully find on the bed.

Sleep was a disaster. I had to prop my upper back and my legs up on pillows because stretching them out hurts my tummy. Lying sideways was even worse. I woke multiple times to fluke threats of vomit. When I finally did vomit in the middle of Sunday night (early Monday morning), it was horrendous. It was basically acid and it burned my throat so badly.

Why me why me why me!!!

28 September 2015, Monday

Mid Autumn Festival came and went yesterday and I didn't get to eat a single mooncake this year, although retrospectively, it was the last thing on my mind.

The fresh embryo transfer is supposed to be today. It was hell trying to shower standing up. I threw up again before we left. Liquid this time. I could hardly walk 10 steps before panting like an old woman.

We finally made it to the hospital with me in a wheelchair, where I barfed water a 3rd time. The pain when throwing up was like someone punching your organs repeatedly.

The very kind nurses found me a bed in one of the examination rooms to rest in while waiting for the doctor.

Dr Jerry Chan really wanted me to do a fresh transfer this time. I think, to add my results to his statistics for the scratch test and all. And yes, I REALLY want to do a fresh transfer too! So he gave the exact same advice in March. Do a day 5 blastocyst, and hopefully, I feel better for the transfer then.

We don't have a choice. They gave me anti-nausea medication and injections, and the pearly wisdom of an advise to "hang on tight".

Well, hanging on tight was the only thing I could do anyway. I had to follow my advise in one of my posts, and believe that all this will be over soon.

Today was a little better after drowning myself with the anti-barfing medication. I must have slept more than my cat. I slept 12 hours through the night, and took at least 5 long naps in the day; each at least an hour long. Kitty must be so proud of me.

But it wasn't over. The pain and breathlessness continues. And to top it all off, I'm starting to develop what looks to be a pesky cough.

Well, at least I'm not locked up in a hospital ward for now. And at least I have hubby; who have been absolutely empathetic and took care of me really well these few days...


Saving all these used needles for some installation art when I get in the mood.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

You are reader number:

All Rights Reserved by Taru

All Rights Reserved by Taru