Glucose Tolerance Test

Saturday, April 2, 2016

I had been a little nervous about gestational diabetes. My mom got it while she was pregnant with me, and I've been quite liberal with sweet foods since the first trimester.

I was scheduled for the Glucose Tolerance Test on Thursday, Week 29, and was required to fast before the test for 8 hours. So I hadn't had breakfast and was a tired mess when I went for the test in the morning.

They first took 3 full tubes of my blood before giving me a bottle of orange liquid to ingest. The drink was NASTY. The coordinator promised me that this version of the drink was more pleasant than anything they ever had. It was some kind of orange flavored sugary beverage that was slightly carbonated. I thought I was an expert in sweet, but this awful liquid scratched at my throat while I gulped it down. Baby must have hated it too, making me all nauseous with gag reflex for at least half an hour afterwards.

16 minutes after drinking the bottle of sugar, they took another few tubes of my blood again. And finally, 2 hours later, several more tubes of blood. I was thoroughly drained by the end of the it. Did they really need so much blood just to compare the insulin levels before and after I took the sugar bomb?

I swear they must be cultivating baby vampires in the basement or something with all that blood. I had a total of 4 punctures between my arms because one of the blood taking attempt failed due to my mini veins.

When I was finally released for lunch, all I wanted to do was look for an empty consultation room and hibernate on the bed.

At least the Glucose Tolerance Test was free. (I'll tell you why in my next post.)

And the most important thing; the results. 4 hours later, doctor says it's normal. (Yes, the doctor consultation queue was that long!)

Well, Yay to more ice cream!!

That nasty sugar bomb; served cold.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

You are reader number:

All Rights Reserved by Taru

All Rights Reserved by Taru