The Embryo Transfer

Friday, April 17, 2015

Our 2 little embryos: Alice and Bach
Finally, after all that hormonal sandstorm since February, today is finally the day of the embryo transfer or what they call "Art Thaw" (short for Artificial Thaw. I should do a post on all the acronyms I had to pick up on this journey).

It was mostly waiting. I had a full bursting bladder and a sleepy hubby at my side while I lay nervously on the operating bed.

I felt totally vulnerable. This was the 3rd time I was in the same bed. The first time for the OPU (Ovum Pick UP), the second time for the Almost Fresh Transfer that didn't happen because OHSS.

I hope this is the last time I'll have to lay here.

The 1 hour wait was excruciating, both mentally and 'bladderly'. After I jovially threatened to pee on the bed a few times (the nurse didn't laugh with me and Hubby but instead made nervous urgent calls to the doctor to hurry up), the doctor finally turned up.

My legs were spread open in that vulnerable compromising position by the nurse, and the doctor proceeded to rummage through my vagina.

He inserted a long thin pipe was inserted. It was really painful and I whined a little. The nurse promised the most painful part was over.

And now, the most important part. The lab next door popped the image of my 2 little embryos on the TV screen in front of me. Alice and Bach; the 1st 2 of my 4 surviving embryos.

They snapped a picture of the last moment of Alice and Bach on the microscopic dish and the embryologist was on her way over.

The doctor inserted another thinner tube through the pipe and OH MY GOD IT HURT LIKE HELL THE NURSE FREAKING LIED TO ME!! My mind fleeted momentarily to the Indian girl who was viciously raped with a steel pipe in that New Delhi bus and the unimaginable pain she must have suffered..


It hurt so bad tears rolled down uncontrollably. I was so glad hubby was there patting my head. It made me feel less... alone.

And then, too long later, it was done. The doctor explained that the my womb was tilted backwards, hence it was harder and more painful to insert the various apparatus. Tilted backwards?? Sounds scary. I hope it won't affect the pregnancy...

The embryologist explained the embryo shapes (we're total noobs!). Alice (right embryo) looks hopeful, with 4 split cells. Bach only had 2 cells so we have to hope that it splits further or it won't make it.


For some reason, I was completely drained after the procedure. We went home and I almost immediately plopped down onto the bed and into an exhausted slumber, with the cat curled at my feet.

Half an hour later, I was awoken to an ache in my abdomen that was chillingly reminiscent of the pain I suffered during my OHSS Ordeal. It haunted me for a few hours before it went away (hopefully forever!). Menstrual-like cramps plagued me for the rest of the day.

Oh please please make it Alice and Bach! I can so foresee that the following 2 weeks is gonna be trying...




You Might Also Like

0 comments

You are reader number:

All Rights Reserved by Taru

All Rights Reserved by Taru