Black Widow: Dear Crazy Feminists, Please Get Off Your High Horse

Monday, May 11, 2015

Black Widow: A victim of Reverse-Sexism imposed by the crazy feminists.
Marvel's Avengers: Age Of Ultron. I watched that movie on Day 10 of my 2 weeks wait after the embryo transfer of my IVF cycle. The movie was entertaining, much better than the first Avengers movie; but still laced with lots of cheesy cringe-worthy dialogue. To me, it was just another testosterone-heavy Hollywood block buster. Thank goodness for Black Widow kicking ass on God-level even though she's just a mere mortal assassin.

Fast forward a week. I went for the pregnancy blood test crossing my fingers for the embryo transfer to have worked. It was negative and my world came crashing down. Again.

Still reeling from the frustration and emotional exhaustion and not quite having come to terms that I needed to do the IVF cycle again, I wander aimlessly on the internet and stumbled upon a rabid nest of militant feminists who are RAGING because Black Widow in the Age Of Ultron movie is sad that she can't have kids.

While I was puzzling over logical fallacies when watching the movie (that table could handle the weight of Thor's hammer. Is it worthy?), some other women were furious over Black Widow embracing her gender's baggage.

Reading all the hate from these awful feminists made me cry all over again. What is their problem? Why are they trivialising a woman's inability to conceive? These are self-righteous women who have never had to fight infertility while wanting kids with the man they love. Let me say this: Women who have NOT personally experienced infertility first hand have NO IDEA what kind of hell this is.

And no, first hand is not hearing all about it from 'my sister', 'my cousin', or 'my colleague's sister's best friend's classmate'. First hand is YOU having to face the dark chasm alone. All alone. If you have never worn this pair of shoes, you have no right to assume a breezy self-righteous attitude towards another woman's infertility.

For the record, I think it's lame that the Final Test in the Red Room to being an assassin is to get sterilised. But if we're going to work with that premise, then yes; As someone fighting infertility right now, I find it entirely plausible for a female mortal character; whether or not she's a kickass assassin / spy whatsoever; to get emotional over a barren womb while facing the man she loves and wants to run away with. It makes the character a believable human being and not the plastic action figure that the militant feminists so desperately want.

Also, why did nobody carve out a slice of beef when the Hulk said essentially the exact same thing as Black Widow? If I remember correctly, he said something like "I can't ever have kids! Do the math!" in an equally frustrated way.

So it's ok when a man is sad about infertility but not ok when it's a woman who bemoans it? So I can't want a baby very much more than a man because I'm in an age where men and women NEED to enjoy emotional equality even though our hormonal construct is so very different?

What is this, some kind of 'Reverse-Sexism'??

And it's not just about Black Widow's infertility that the militant feminists are raging about. There is no middle ground for these nutcases. Everything that doesn't scream GIRL POWER is a cause for anger. 

For example, there's this self-proclaimed disappointed feminist fan of Joss Whedon, Sara Stewart who tried to be passive but in between the lines sounded like a desperate girl who just wants her lady balls stroked.

"..OK, but either of those characters (Jane Foster and Pepper Potts) would really have upped the quotient of substantive females onscreen in this nearly two-and-a-half-hour sausage-fest. Seriously, you couldn't get Gwyneth or Natalie for a couple days?"

Seriously, if you want girl power, go watch another movie. Like Hunger Games. Or Divergent. Or one of those female empowerment movies that's so popular nowadays. If you're subscribing to the Marvel franchise, then KNOW before you go that you're signing up for a sausage fest, and quit bitching about it.

"You got Linda Cardellini -- Lindsay goddamn Weir! -- in your movie, and you made her a housewife. ... she is literally pregnant and in the kitchen for most of her screen time. Sure, she dispenses some womanly words of wisdom and lets the Avengers crash in their Pottery Barn-tastic farmhouse, but seriously? That is some reductive gender shit right there."

Firstly, what in heaven's name is wrong with a woman being pregnant?? Why are some feminists so uncomfortable with the fact that we are the birthing gender that they reject ALL sorts of pregnant imagery and birthing references on the big screen? That's Reverse-Sexism right there!

The introduction of Hawkeye's preggie wife was obviously the lead-up to the conversation between Hulk and Black Widow. A contrast of their desired 'normal' family life as opposed to the cursed one that the superheroes have to live with; the unwanted weight of the world on their shoulders and the moral inability to 'run away' and settle down.

The housewife beef I can relate to. The man brings home the bread; the woman cooks and takes care of the kids. Yeah, I have a problem with that gender role stereotype which I despise too.

But here's the reality: I know lots of housewives; who prefer to call themselves Stay-At-Home-Moms, or SAHM for short; who would be seriously offended that the SAHM life they chose for themselves is viewed as 'reductive gender shit'. I'd so love to throw Sara and a couple of my more vocal SAHM friends into the same ring and watch them claw it out (wonder what kind of dark fate would've befallen me if I'm a man who says this).

More whining from Sara: "And Claudia Kim plays Dr. Helen Cho, who can apparently do brilliant things with genetics but mostly just gets mind-warped by the villainous Ultron and, later, beaten up by him."

Now look here, EVERYBODY got mind-warped in the movie by Scarlet witch, but Sara only complained about Helen Cho. Why? Because the one who did the mind-warping was the guy? May I remind that the primary arc in the first Avengers movie was Hawkeye getting major mind-warped by Loki. A man who got mind-warped by another man. Why don't somebody go pick on that. And Ultron was beating up every other living thing that pisses him off in his path without prejudice. But for some reason, Sara only saw Helen The Woman.

These self-righteous feminists are so absurd they are the reason why the world at large is not taking us seriously anymore.

When I call myself a feminist, I fancy myself someone who believes in reasonable equal social rights between the gender.

Reasonable here means within our gender's different physical and hormonal limit.

For most of my adult life, I struggle against unreasonable cultural expectations and oppression of my gender. The last thing I need is this crazy feminists' brand of 'Reverse-Sexism' thing taking off.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

You are reader number:

All Rights Reserved by Taru

All Rights Reserved by Taru